The City is Stumbling, Deliciously

The City is Stumbling, Deliciously
Coloured pencil on MDF with dictionary pages

Friday 19 August 2011

Gatwick commission

Walkway to the skies
Things are once again busy for me, which is great.
I had a phone call out of the blue about a month ago from a gentleman who wanted to commission me two large paintings for a new Wetherspoons pub based in the South Terminal at Gatwick airport. I obviously jumped at the chance! The only downside was that they had to be completed in 3 weeks! That was pushing it, but I knew I could just about manage it...with a few late nights involved!
He wanted the paintings in my Fractured style, something, he said, that was exactly what he was looking for! The pub, was to be called The Beehive. Based on one of the first ever departure terminal buildings in the UK. It is very Art Deco in style, and wonderful building.
This is what The Beehive building looks like now.
I was sent numerous photos, style boards and plans from the buildings architects, and from that began to sketch out ideas for the painting.
Both paintings are 1.1m x 1m and 1.2m x 90cm respectively. And varnished for protection.
'Fracturing the Beehive'
The pub is opening on the 30th August, on landside. I'm due to go in September so will hopefully see them up then!!



3 comments: